Saturday, October 27, 2007

What's my age again?

Last night I was out with my family. On the drive home, I had my music turned up loud and thoughts jumped into my head. This is the result of those thoughts...


I'm 24 years old. I go to shows. I think I go to a lot of shows. There are many people who go to many more than i do, but I think I do very well for my money, job & school situations. This October alone will include nine...well, ten if I go to Manchester Orchestra on Conan O'Brien.

At the age I am now, I don't know how I should carry myself at concerts. Friday night at the Kevin show at Chubby's in Red Bank, I was easily in the Top10 of the oldest people there to see him. But still I was in the front, bopping and singing my heart out. When I go to a show I want to be up front. I like to see what it is I came for. I don't see the appeal of hanging out in the back and listening to a band that I love. If all I wanted to do was listen, I would have just stayed home and put the CD on.

For shows of a KD nature it usually isn't bad, but when I go see bigger artists, in bigger venues, there are bigger crowds. And those result in bigger lines to get in. I have never been one to care about waiting on line for a long time to get into a show. I have made friends that way and played some mean uno games. Again, I am short so I don't want to see the back of people's heads and not see the people on stage. But as I get older, I'm online with all these teenagers. At a show at the Crazy Donkey, some kids were talking about how they didn't go to shows because their friends weren't 16 yet. That is slightly disheartening and it makes me feel rather old. But for shows like Brand New at Gramercy in May 07, being up against that barricades makes the show more amazing than it could have been otherwise. ("Do it!!")

I don't look my age and I don't always feel it. Maybe it is because I still live at home and am not able to totally support myself just yet. But in a couple years I am going to be almost thirty and I'm going to have a career. Perhaps things will change then. I really don't know. But what I do know is that I am liking more music that takes place in smaller venues around the city. So the experience that I have at the Knitting Factory seeing Ingrid Michaelson in a couple weeks is going to be drastically different than the monster show that will be Brand New & Thrice at Hammerstien come Dec4th.

No comments: